Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Achebe part I


Orality was one subject I found represented in multiple different parts of Chinua Achebe’s “Things Fall Apart”. I noticed first when Okonkwo’s tribe has one member represented who is the town’s orator, which makes sense for the setting of the story, which takes place in suggested oral society. Later, what I found more interesting was Okonkwo’s failed harvest, one that he collected only part of his crop from due to a poor winter. In a time Oknokwo felt called for silence his father tries to soothe his son(17). This interestingly points out the importance of silence that is overlooked traditionally. I can imagine many scenarios where people feel the need to fill silence with words – whether just sarcasm or small talk many people are avoidant of silence in situations. Why? Silence makes people feel awkward, but I appreciate the value that can come with it.  In the essay by Simon Gikandi, “Achebe and the Invention of Literature” was discussed. I found it interesting that Achebe didn’t originally plan to be a writer, much less one that represents African culture so well through his writing. Achebe represents the African culture through anecdotes and and a lens damaged by British colonialism – I am interested to hear what other scholars have to say about Achebe’s work.

No comments:

Post a Comment